The President of Germany, Joachim Gauck, and Ms. Daniela Schadt, visited Yad Vashem on May 29, 2012. They toured the Holocaust History Museum, including the Hall of Names, participated in a Memorial Ceremony in the Hall of Remembrance, and visited the Children's Memorial. President Gauck was accompanied throughout his visit by Yad Vashem Chairman Avner Shalev. He was joined by President Peres in the Hall of Names and Hall of Remembrance.
The tour and ceremony was followed by a visit to the Yad Vashem Archives where President Gauck viewed a number of archival documents presented by Archives Director Dr. Haim Gertner.
The archival documents included:
· Original architectural blueprints of Auschwitz-Birkenau. The plans of structures in Auschwitz-Birkenau were mostly prepared in the fall of 1941. The blueprints were found in 2008 in Berlin.
· Original prisoners cards from Mauthausen of a Hungarian and Polish Jews
· Wartime diary of Rabbi Uri Feivish Tauber written from 1941 to1944, in Mogilev-Podolski, Romania. The diary was written in German using Hebrew letters.
· Composition book of Avraham (Arthur) Cohen, a cantor and composer for the men's choir of the Klaus Synagogue in Mannheim, Germany with handwritten musical and cantorial notation for the prayers. The book was found in its entirety among the burned remains of the synagogue which was destroyed on Kristallnacht.
· Hebrew Calendar Prepared by Rabbi Yaakov Avigdor in Buchenwald.