The International School for Holocaust Studies
Holocaust Martyrs' and Heroes' Remembrance Day - Educational Materials
Yad Vashem’s annual theme for 2013 is "Defiance and Rebellion during the Holocaust - Marking 70 Years since the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising". The notions of "defiance" and "rebellion" are fundamentally important to any discussion concerning the Holocaust. In the ghettos and camps, indeed in every place with a Jewish populace and Jewish life, there was some form of protest or resistance to the plot to obliterate the Jewish nation. From escape plans to going into hiding, from mutual aid efforts to educational and creative activities as well as the observance of Jewish rites – even with the scarcest of means and in the most unthinkable conditions – all these acts embodied the relentless struggle of Jewish individuals and communities to counteract the restrictions and dangers raining down upon them – and against all odds, sometimes, to live to see the day of victory.
Launched ahead of Israel's Holocaust Martyrs' and Heroes' Remembrance Day, this site features a variety of pedagogical materials for teaching this topic within the framework of Holocaust education, with a special focus on the Warsaw ghetto uprising - one of the best known examples of physical defiance during the Holocaust. You cna find historical background on the uprising, an interactive map featuring events and turning points during the uprising - as well as the thoughts and deliberations that took place in fighting against enormous odds, lesson plans, articles, interviews and more.
Prayers and "Yizkor" (Memorial) Readings | Lists of Shoah Victims' Names | Learning Environment: Salonika | e-Newsletter
Articles and Interviews
- Jewish Solidarity - The Individual and the Community
- An Interview with Samuel and Ada Willenberg
- Emanuel Ringelblum on the Fighting in the Warsaw Ghetto
- "Who Took The Pictures?" - The Ghetto Photography of Mendel Grossman in Lodz, As Compared With the Ghetto Photography of German "Ghetto Tourists"
- Emanuel Ringelblum on the German Propaganda During the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising
- “Where is thy brother Abel?" Documentary Photographs of the Warsaw Ghetto
- Critical Analysis of Photographs as Historical Sources